Church of Christ
Locks Cross Roads
2) Matthew 12:15-42
JESUS THE HEALING SERVANT OF JEHOVAH - Matthew 12:15-21
Jesus strategically withdrew from immediate hostility of religious leaders. Common people followed Him from many
areas, seeking healing. Jesus healed them, ordering strict secrecy. But it revealed His:
1) His Nature (Matthew 12:18)
2) His Authority and Task (Matthew 12:18)
3) His Method (Matthew 12:19)
4) His Results (Matthew 12:20)
5) His Universality (Matthew 12:21)
Result: This was the fulfillment of Isaiah 42:1 and following.
He healed a blind, dumb demoniac, which resulted in jealous Pharisees.
HE IS CHARGED WITH LEAGUE WITH SATAN - Matthew 12:22-37
The crowds' asking, "Is He the Messiah?" The Pharisees counterattack by asserting Jesus works by devil's power.
Jesus rebuts the charge:
1) Satan is divided: good (Matthew 12:25-26)
2) What about your rabbis who exorcize demons (Matthew 12:27)
3) Reasonable alternative: God Spirit empowers Me (Matthew 12:28)
4) More evidence: in order to overpower the devil, one must be stronger than Satan (Matthew 12:29)
5) Neutrality is impossible (Matthew 12:30)
JESUS EXPLAINS HIS WARNING AGAINST BLASPHEMY OF THE HOLY SPIRIT (Matthew 12:31-32, Luke 12:8-10,
All sins will be forgivable, except that by which all knowledge of God's truth and forgiveness is received; by His Spirit.
Eternal damnation awaits the sinner who rejects all that is the Spirit's work among men.
TALK IS NOT CHEAP (Matthew 12:33-37) - ideas have consequences. Speech reveals one's sense of moral
discernment (Matthew 12:33-35). There are no words that do not count, for God holds us accountable for all
JESUS GIVES THE SIGN OF JONAH
a) Unreasonable request for a sign of Jesus' identity and authority.
b) Jesus' logical refusal: "It is unfaithfulness to God to ask for"
c) Jesus' merciful exception: the resurrection is His last sign
d) Jesus' condemnation well-grounded (Matthew 12:41-42)
No more signs than those already given! Matthew 12:39-40 - Illustration: Ninevites heard only the prophet Jonah.
Illustration: Queen of the South heard only Solomon. Conclusion: According to the light against which you have
sinned will be your judgment. You have had greater opportunities to know God's will. "Your religion has made you
empty, leaving you a spiritual vacuum for anything that will fill it up."