Church of Christ
Locks Cross Roads
7) Hebrews - Chapter 2:10-14
For it became Him: Paul explained Christ's greatness. Now he shows why it was done:
a) It was expedient. The Jews thought Jesus died in shame.
b) Because of the nature of God, it was "becoming" of God to do it.
c) Because He loves, He would be constrained to do something about lost man.
For whom are all things: A loving Father will commit all to the consecrated Son whom He appointed Heir - Christ has
proven His worthiness, but no inheritance as yet:
a) 1st Corinthians 15:24 "When He shall deliver up the kingdom of God."
b) For the present, God is the owner of all things and through whom are all things
This can be said of both Christ and God.
a) Of God - Acts 17:28: "In Him we live."
b) Of Christ - John 1:3: All things were made by Him.
c) John 1:10: The world was made by Him. Colossians 1:16-17: By Him all things consist.
He desires all men to become part of His family.
1) 1st Peter 3:9: "- not wishing that any should perish."
2) John 3:16: "- whosoever believeth"
We have the privilege of choosing to be born into this family.
What is our glory?
a) Philippians 3:21: "- fanshioned like His glorious body."
b) 1st Corinthians 15:43: "It is sown in dishonor; it is raised in glory."
When will we have glory?
a) We have some glory now:
1) Romans 8:21: "- glorious liberty."
2) 1st Peter 4:14: "- spirit of glory."
3) Ephesians 3:13: "- tribulation which is your glory."
b) We have glory that is yet to come: Colossians 3:4: "When Christ shall be manifested, then shall ye also with
Him be manifested in glory."
How do we receive this glory?
- 2nd Thessalonians 2:14: He called you through our gospel to the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus
1st Peter 5:10: God of all grace called you unto His eternal glory in Christ, making Him the author of our salvation.
The Greek word for "author" is Archcgos, a combination of two Greek words: The words "to begin" and "to lead."
Author is also translated "Captain." Christ is our "leader", and a perfect one. The idea or leadership is expressed
elsewhere: Acts 5:1: A Prince, a Savior, and Acts 3:15: Prince of Life Perfect through sufferings.
Suffering made perfect
1) Christ was perfect in character, being without sin
- Luke 23:4: Pilate found no fault
- Hebrews 4:15: Tempted, yet without sin
- 1st Peter 1:19: WIthout spot
2) Perfect in His sacrifice
- Isaiah 53:7: Opened not His mouth. Without spot or blemish.
3) Suffering, tribulations, etc., serve to perfect us
- It means to set apart for a holy use, or to an office. Matthew 23:19, John 17:17. It means to purify from
pollution, either ceremonially or spiritually.
What is meant by "all of one"? "Of one Father."
1) This fits best, for we have a common Father with Jesus, Who calls us brothers.
2) We do not have the devil as father, but Jesus' own Father as our father.
If He calls us brothers, should we call Him brother?
a) No, for we are brothers by grace
b) He is so much more than brother; His is Lord, God, Savior, Master, King of kings, High Priest. This is a
quotation from Psalms 22:22: This is Christ speaking through David. Jesus in His miracles prayed and gave
glory to God.
This phrase verifies the idea of Christ being with His church. The church should praise God:
a) It does not mean that we become children of Christ, but children of God in the church of Christ.
b) See John 6:37: "All that the Father hath given Me, will come unto Me."
Since then, the children are sharers in flesh and blood. An immortal being cannot die, so Christ became mortal so
that He could die for man.
a) The word does not mean to annihilate, but to render useless.
b) "The devil is now only weakened; his power is gone."
c) If these men are right, will the devil ever be destroyed? Yes. See Revelation 20:10. "Through death" is
Look at what was accomplished in death that could not be accomplished in life.
- He cannot slander us before God, for we have been accepted as family.
Why does not God destroy the devil now?
It would leave a vast number of orphans, for the devil - a destruction of the devil would change this world from one
Bondage to sin is present. See Romans 6:16-18: "Servants.., of sin unto death."