Church of Christ
Locks Cross Roads
3) Hebrews - Chapter 1
Hebrews Chapter 1
Threefold place of Jesus:
1) Prophet - "spoken unto us" - Hebrews 1:2
2) Priest - "made purification" - Hebrews 1:3
3) King - "at the right hand" - Hebrews 1:3
Hebrews 1:4 Having become by so much better than the angels, as He hath inherited a more excellent Name than
Hebrews 1:5 For unto which of the angels said He at any time, Thou art My Son, This day have I begotten Thee?
and again, I will be to Him a Father; And He shall be to Me a Son?
having become -
This suggests a time when He was not better than the angels. When could this time have been? Perhaps just after
the emptying spoken of by Paul (Philippians 2:5-10). While Christ was in human flesh and before He was refilled
with His original glory. During the time of His humility on earth, He was at least in some respect lower than the
angels: "made a little lower than the angels." Hebrews 2:9, "a body didst Thou prepare for Me," Hebrews 10:5.
so much better than the angels -
What is meant by "so much better"? The word in the Greek is Kreithan.
a) It very likely means a measure of place or position, not quality of being
b) Moral or spiritual excellence is not included.
c) Glory - honor - reverence, He had less while on earth, being obedient to the cross.
d) Ways in which He is better than angels:
1) He is the Son - they are servants - Hebrews 1:5-7
2) He is worshipped by angels - Hebrews 1:6
3) He may be addressed by God - Hebrews 1:8
4) He is a king with a scepter of righteousness - Hebrews 1:8
5) He was anointed with the oil of gladness above His fellows - Hebrews 1:9
6) He is addressed as "Lord" - Hebrews 1:10
7) He is seated at the right hand of God - Hebrews 1:13
8) Angels minister to those who inherit salvation made possible by Christ - Hebrews 1:14
9) Not to angels did He subject the world to come - Hebrews 2:5
e) The word "better" appears frequently in Hebrews:
1) Better than angels - Hebrews 1:4
2) Better things - Hebrews 6:9
3) Better person than Abraham - Hebrews 7:7
4) Better hope - Hebrews 7:19
5) Better covenant - Hebrews 7:22
6) Better covenant and promises - Hebrews 8:6
7) Better sacrifice - Hebrews 9:23
8) Better possessions - Hebrews 10:34
9) Better country - Hebrews 11:16
10) Better resurrection - Hebrews 11:35
11) Better things - Hebrews 11:40
12) Better than that of Abel - Hebrews 12:24
Who are angels?
a) Generally, it can be said that they are beings less than God, and other than men
b) Specifically, here are some facts about them:
- They are intelligent beings, showing some characteristics of men:
1) Peter 1:11-12 - "which things angels desire to look into."
2) They are messengers (Revelation 4:8-11, Genesis 19:15 - Message to Lot)
3) They praise God and sing before Him (Revelation 4:8-11, Revelation 5:9)
4) They are emotional (Luke 15:7 and 10: Angels rejoicing over sinners who repent).
5) They are sexless creatures (Matthew 22:30 - "neither marry nor are given in marriage."
6) They are creatures of choice (2nd Peter 2:4 - "when they sinned", Jude 6 - "kept not their own
7) They seem to be winged creatures, in some instances at least.
a) Six wings - Isaiah 6:2
b) Four wings - Ezekiel 1:6
c) Wings - Exodus 25:30, Exodus 31:9
c) There are two classes of angels:
1) God's angels who serve:
a) 1st Timothy 5:21 - "the elect angels."
b) Revelation 14:10 - "holy angels."
2) Evil angels:
a) Ephesians 6:12 - "spiritual hosts of wickedness."
b) Revelation 12:9 - "dragon was cast out and his angels."